Electrics
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
twistyface
Apprentice
Apprentice

Electrics

by twistyface » Mon May 12, 2008 11:20 am

Hi all (first post novice)

would like to move double socket approx 2metres on same wall not bothered about trunking being seen, how do I connect to existing socket to enable extension ?

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon May 12, 2008 7:12 pm

I have read you post a few times now and still can’t quite understand the question. I am sure you don’t want me to tell you to switch off power undo the screws stick the new wires in and switch the power back on.
On the other hand to direct you on how to do a complete inspection and test and identify if the original socket is part of a ring main i.e. it will already have two cables feeding into it and explain volt drop, earth loop impedance, and prospective short circuit current is also likely to go straight over your head and anyway your unlikely to have the instruments required to measure it anyway.
Under DIY Projects we have “Electrical, adding a spur“ and “Electrical, extending a ring mainâ€

twistyface
Apprentice
Apprentice

by twistyface » Wed May 14, 2008 3:00 pm

Hi Eric. Thanks for reply. in plain English I hope, have an existing 2 gang 13amp socket on bedroom wall, to enable me to resite TV. rather than using extension lead I would like to move the socket to another wall approx 2metres away can I purchase new 2 gang and connect to old one if yes how and what materials do i need

thanks

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed May 14, 2008 5:21 pm

If the original socket is part of a ring main then.
3 meters of 2.5mm² twin and earth
length of earth sleeve
Socket e.g. 96304 Crabtree 13A 2G SP Sw Skt (screwfix)
Back box 43690 Crabtree 2G 29mm Moulded Box (if surface)
36960 Appleby 2G Dry Lining Box (plaster board)
39957 Appleby Galvanised Steel Knock Out Boxes 2G 25mm (if brick wall etc.) which will also need 11833 PVC Grommet Open Pack of 100
If surface you may also need 91619 Mini Trunking PVC White 25 x 16mm Pack of 20
But really if you need me to make out shopping list I think you would be better with extension lead.

twistyface
Apprentice
Apprentice

by twistyface » Wed May 14, 2008 7:11 pm

Thanks Eric will take your advice and use an extension, once again thanks for your time and expertise

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:36 pm