Electrics
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jaz4969
Labourer
Labourer

Electrics

by jaz4969 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:45 am

Hi guys, simple question , my wife in her wisdom has decided we need to change our light chandaliers, so we went out and bought 2 , no electric work involved (at this point) just need to unscrew the previous , take bulb out place this one in screw holder back & job done. Unfortunatley the first light has not enough cable hanging down for me 2 put the new chandalier on and put the wiring back in to the holder , due to some curls on the chandalier touching the ceiling, is it phesible for me to add like 2 like cable and tape it up to lengthen the cable so i can get the chandalier dropped on the light holder...

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:33 pm

You don't want to tape them up either use a connection termination strip or crimp couplers.
KB

singer
Ganger
Ganger

by singer » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:13 am

Not a good idea as tape joint dangerous and would not stand weight of chandelier.

Better to replace with longer length of flex from ceiling rose to lampholder.

Not really difficult as long as you replace like for like.

Unscrew cover on ceiling rose having first proved the circuit dead - note the colours and which connections they go to - remove flex from ceiling rose which will have lampholder on the end - connect new piece of flex to lampholder - cut flex to required length and strip the end ready for connection into ceiling rose - re-connect exactly the same as the one you removed.

Make sure the outer sheathing on the flex is not stripped back too far exposing the inner cores of the flex where it enters the ceiling rose and lampholder.
This is a common mistake for the inexperienced.
Just remember the outer sheath(usually white) is the mechanical protection for the flex and the coloured material (usually brown/blue) is the electrical insulation for the copper conductors.

The outer sheathing must give mechanical protection to the cores until it enters an enclosure (either the ceiling rose or the lampholder)

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:21 am

I am sure it does not require anyone on here to tell you tape is not an acceptable method to join cables.
In most cases cables would be renewed.
In some cases we may use the soldering iron and shrink sleeve but the outer shrink needs to grip the cable and it may need epoxy resin type.
It is not plain exactly what you are doing or how skilled you are so all I can really say is use some common sense. I am sure really you know what you need to do but do not want the hassle of telling her!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:08 pm