electrics
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
hopless
Labourer
Labourer

electrics

Post by hopless » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:11 pm

Im trying to fit a new ceiling light . I have fitted it by the instructions but the light stays on which ever way the switch is. There is 2 earth 2 brown 2 blue .If any one can help it would be appriciated

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: electrics

Post by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:10 pm

[quote="hopless"]Im trying to fit a new ceiling light . I have fitted it by the instructions but the light stays on which ever way the switch is. There is 2 earth 2 brown 2 blue .If any one can help it would be appriciated[/quote]

HOPLESS
TRY DOC S PROJECTS ON LIGHTING FIRST.
DIAGRAMS COULD HELP ?
BLAKEY1963

Eurospark
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Eurospark » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:56 pm

The easiest way is to connect the browns together in a terminal block and the two blues to the fitting one in the live and one in the neutral. One of the blues is a switched live from the switch and you'll need to test it to get it the right way round, but it will work whichever way round the two blues go.

Harry75
Labourer
Labourer

2 browns, 2 blues, 2 earths

Post by Harry75 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:43 am

Sorry to get in on the act also but I had the same problem. I connected 2 browns into one, two blues into one and the two greens into one. The 2 of each wire was then matched up with the single corisponding wire colour from the light fitting. There are two lights of the one switch and when switched on there appears to be a difference in brightness.
Could you just run through your solution Eurospark again please as I will try it but not completely sure of which goes where. Do you have the two browns and one of the blues from the ceiling going into one section connected with the one brown from the light fitting? Then the remaining blue from the ceiling going to the single blue from the ligth fitting? Then the two green matching up with the single green from the light fitting?

Cheers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:41 am