em lighting and fire alarms
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
d.c.e.s
Labourer
Labourer

em lighting and fire alarms

by d.c.e.s » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:53 pm

Hello all,

I have been asked to price for some em lighting and firealarms in some hmo's
I am ok with the lighting but need some advice on fire alarm systems , panels what type of systems there are and commissioning.
I am niceic registered (just!) I have only ever installed the wiring and connected up the heads but never done the board or commissioning for the old firm I used to work for.

Thanks in advance

David

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:14 pm

Hi. HMO's requirements vary depending on how many floors etc. generally individual non linked standard smoke alarms for each 'home' eg flat/bedsit.
PLUS proper fire alarm system for all stairs & other communal areas, designed installed and certified to BS 5839-part 6, & 1.
Don't forget Part P applies to mains wiring in dwellings & make certain as well as 'Public Liability' you also have 'professional Indemnity' insurance cover for your design.
As you are probably aware you will need to install at least 2 sounder circuits distributed over the area , with enough circuits to enable the source of any alarm to be easily found by firefighters.
A bgCall Point on every exit and landing, no more than one door between sounders etc.
As for emergency lights BS5266 and ICEL1006 are the standards to watch.
Be aware emergency lights have to go outside exits as well as inside if it's unlit outside already, plus fire fighting equipment eg extiguishers and fire alarm panel must be lit by emergency lighting,
a mine field for the unwary!
regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:50 pm