Emergency Lighting
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Paul2463
Tradesman
Tradesman

Emergency Lighting

Post by Paul2463 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:08 pm

Hello Guys

my father in law found a small problem in is house when a blown bulb tripped the lighting circuit, it was night and immmensly dark in the garage to find the consumer unit to sort it out.

I have looked around and found a cheap emergency lighting system from Screwfix "Lytlec 3 Hour Emergency Lighting Bulkhead" it says it is maintained, does this mean that I can use it as a direct replacement for the light that is already in there, but when the power trips the batteries kick in and on comes the emergency side? Or does it still have to sit side by side with the normal light and trips on when the power goes?

Ideally I would like the former, which works as a normal light off the switch under normal conditions, but in the event of a power failure lights up the garage on batteries

any help gratefully recieved

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:43 pm

Google "firesafe.org.uk/html/fsequip/emerlght.htm"
Type of system

Most emergency lighting schemes fall into one of the following categories:-

* Non-maintained - The emergency light units only illuminate in the event of a mains failure.
* Maintained - The emergency light units are illuminated at all times using the same lamps for both normal and emergency operation.
* Sustained - The emergency light units are fitted with two lamps or two sets of lamps. One of which operates on mains 240V AC supply, the other which operates from the battery supply in the event of mains failure. It is basically a non-maintained system with the addition of mains lamps which should be illuminated whenever the premises are occupied.

The type of system and emergency duration is often expressed in abbreviated form as per the following examples:-

* M3 - Maintained System, emergency duration 3 hours.
* NM2 - Non-maintained System, emergency duration 2 hours.
* S1 - Sustained System, emergency duration 1 hour.
I bought a new ballast/inverter for my florescent lamp and it came as kit with batteries and this will work the tube as normal until there is a power failure then the light comes on. There is also a version which give a delay before turning off designed for when normal lights take time to re-start. Wish I had that type as I am always forgetting to switch on garage lamp before switching power back on and then plunge myself in darkness.
Try a google for PC 2X36 / 33 COMBO 220-240V 50 which is one unit and for me it brought up many more.
The non maintained will likely be cheapest and mount it as well as normal light to replace with an Emergency bare batten will cost around £70 I know because they are HF fittings they are far better than normal florescent and in a kitchen may be worth the money or if you work in garage as because HF no strobe effect but £70 is a bit steep.
There are also special torches which will light in a power cut which are likely one of the cheapest options too. Just plug in.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:53 pm