Enclosed Bathroom Extract Issue?
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Paul17176
Labourer
Labourer

Enclosed Bathroom Extract Issue?

Post by Paul17176 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:32 pm

I've not been able to find an answer online to my query so hope someone on here could help.

We had a new bathroom fitted last year and have had mould appearing around the shower, the room is around 7ft sq. I believe it could be down to the extract fan (6"), as it's an enclosed bathroom with no windows in a top floor PB flat. We have a spiral paper like ducting go out of the roof but, using smoke matches it doesn't seem to be taking any of the air away. It has to travel a fair distance, a good 3-4 metres. Is it possible this isn't suitable and does anyone have any suggestions as to how to resolve this ventilation issue before we redecorate?

Something i've just remembered, there seem to be some grease like liquid that leaked out of the fan not long after it was fitted, maybe the fan itself is faulty?

determined
Labourer
Labourer

Post by determined » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:49 pm

Where exactly is the mould appearing? Is it at the top of every wall in the room, or is it just on the walls of the shower?

If you have mould only on the walls of the shower, i.e. where you are getting water on the walls because of water coming out of the shower, then I suggest using a squeegee to remove standing water from the shower after every show. That way, the mould won't be able to grow, because it needs the standing water which gets removed by the squeegee.

Yes, you need to establish whether your current fan is working properly. If it is, consider fitting a bigger fan.

Best of luck.

Rgds :)

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:20 pm