Enclosure To Protect Outside Pipes
Ask questions and find answers on a range of subjects relating to self build projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
poddys
Labourer
Labourer

Enclosure To Protect Outside Pipes

by poddys » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:12 pm

For some reason the plastic waste pipes from our kitchen and bathroom (next to each other) go outside and into an exposed drain, rather than being plumbed in. This is on an exposed wall on the west side of the house, and these rooms are always cold and damp. There is nothing to stop the wind blowing up the pipes.

What I was thinking to do (since we are only renting and can't afford to re-plumb properly) is to build a wooden enclosure about 4" deep to fit against the wall, to stop the cold wind from getting to these pipes and into the kitchen and bathroom, and also to stop leaves from blowing into the drain, which blocks it and causes it to overflow when we shower or when the washing machine empties.

Problem is, I have wood to make the framework, but I can't think what to use to clad the outside.

All of the wood at B&Q is either too thick, or it's indoor type board (hardboard, chipboard,MDF) which if outside isn't going to last too long.

Any thoughts on what to use please? It doesn't have to look "amazing", it's along a passage down the side of the house. It ought to make a big difference to the heating and damp this winter though.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Enclosure To Protect Outside Pipes

by welsh brickie » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:23 pm

you can use pvc to clad it.

poddys
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Enclosure To Protect Outside Pipes

by poddys » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:37 pm

Sounds like a good idea. Now I just have to find somewhere that stocks it.
Found one place online, appreciate the help.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:51 am