Engineered oak flooring
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cartertim
Labourer
Labourer

Engineered oak flooring

by cartertim » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:45 pm

Hello,

I am about to lay an engineered wood flooring over part timber floor boards and part karndene covered concrete floor. both floors are in good condition and level, although there is a very slight difference in level between the wood and concrete floor.

i have been given conflicting advice/opinions regarding underlay. some have recommended no underlay and pinning the floor so that it isnt a floating floor while other a 6 mm fibreboard or 6mm ply.

i will be removing the skirtings and cutting in around door frams while ensuring i leave a gap for expansion but just not sure whether i need to lay a subfloor?

any advice will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Engineered oak flooring

by welsh brickie » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:08 pm

if the floor is level,you must use a vapour barrier on the concrete with foam underlay.Dont nail it,its pointless as your floor is concrete and timber and will expand and contract on the different surfaces.
Also leave a 10mm gap around the perimiter.
When it comes to cutting around door casings you dont need a 10mm gap,leave 3 to 5mm and you can fill the gap with colour matched silicone.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:59 pm