Entrance door

Postby guildford » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:11 pm

Hi - first time owner and first time forum user

we have a georgian cottage with a softwood entrance door which the previous owners have varnished, but wearing off.

I want to restore this door and paint it red; can anyone advise what I need to do, should I sand or strip the varnish off; and is it aluminumum primer I should use to prevent any left over varnish coming up as yellow?

Many thanks :roll:
guildford
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Gorilla Glue heavy duty grab adhesive

Postby thedoctor » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:53 am

See our project on preparing woodwork for painting. Strip the varnish by going to our paint stripping project and then prime and coat as seen in the project
thedoctor

Postby Oddbod » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:20 pm

Hi, Just to add a bit ….. Generally speaking varnish is just paint without the colour – if you see what I mean. You’d be very unlucky if you didn’t get away with just sanding the existing varnish (to rough it up a little bit, not remove it), priming any bare wood, and then an undercoat and a couple of top-coats.
Oddbod
Progress to next rank:
36%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!