I am erecting a gate for our driveway which will be a typical 5-bar softwood gate about 12 foot wide by 4 foot high, and propose using an 8 inch (200mm) square wooden post to hang the gate.
1. How deep does the post need to go into the ground? I understand it should be about 1 metre into the ground?
2. To dig down this depth, what tools would I do this with? Presumably a spade will not be adequate?
3. How wide should the hole be to concrete the post in the ground?
4. How long should the concrete be left to set for before I hand the gate?
5. What else do I need to know?