Erratic central heating behaviour, help!
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
silverous
Labourer
Labourer

Erratic central heating behaviour, help!

by silverous » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:21 am

Hi,

I'll try and cut a long story short. We wanted a larger towel radiator in main bathroom and so got a chap in to fit one. When he'd finished we found that some of the radiators were piping hot, some not so. He's been back a few times to balance (?) the system and now the only one that isn't piping hot is the one he fitted.

That we can live with although we've asked him to come back to look at it. The problem is that this morning, with the thermostat set to 18 degrees, and our bedroom radiator control set to "3" (out of 5) the room was absolutely baking within about 15-30 minutes of the heating coming on. My wife is pregnant and due any day now and this made her very uncomfortable. I too felt very warm indeed. How can 18 degrees be so hot!? Is this likely to be related to what the chap did in fitting/balancing?

I really need to sort this soon as I don't want such high temperatures when the little 'un arrives. It is also causing the missus undue stress.

Any suggestions?

We haven't had the heating on much as she gets so warm, and since last winter have had a conservatory installed (which we are still sorting out the underfloor heating on - another saga). Downstairs (where the thermostat is) was relatively cold/cool - is it possible that the thermostat thinks the 18 degrees hasn't been reached and is driving the rest of the system too hot? We haven't had issues in past like this.

Help much appreciated!

Thanks,

Silver.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:37 am

Firstly 18 degrees ? are you referring to the room stat ? if so then this will only control the temperature of the room which the thermostat is in.

The system needs balancing

'Downstairs (where the thermostat is) was relatively cold/cool - is it possible that the thermostat thinks the 18 degrees hasn't been met' - Exactly that - downstairs 18 degress probaby hasn't been met. if you don't want to move the thermostat, turn the boiler thermostat down and balance the system so that the radiator heat evenly to a temperature your feel is comfotable. There should be approx 11 degree temperature difference between the flow and return of each radiator.

htg

silverous
Labourer
Labourer

Thanks

by silverous » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:31 pm

Many thanks. Yes, we only have one thermostat for the whole house. It is in a hall way and was set to 18 degrees.

Most rooms (but not all) have a control on the radiator (a TRV?) and that is what was set to just 3 in our room but was still incredibly hot. I know when the plumbing/heating guy last visited he suggested increasing the temparature on the boiler but we found the hot water was then scalding so reduced it back.

Does this sound like it is a balancing issue he still hasn't got right then, we should get him back by the sound of it? Is balancing difficult? He or one of his guys has been back about 3 times now. Maybe we need a new guy ? :)

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:42 pm

It's not difficult,

DIY approach. Remove the covers from all lockshield valves, fully close the valves with a pair of grips or a spanner. Now open 2 or 3 turns only.

Do this to all radiators, and see if the situation improves.

I will watch for further posts.

Htg

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1