Estimate for complete removal of chimney stack
information and advice on general building topics, builders merchants, problem builders, DIY Stores etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ian Dudley
Apprentice
Apprentice

Estimate for complete removal of chimney stack

Post by Ian Dudley » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:10 am

I live in a 1920's detached house. We have a completely internal chimney stack that has already been removed above the roof line and blocked off on both floors.

The position of the breast on the first floor is really awkward as its in a doorway, I could do with the space on the ground floor, and it also makes the attic awkward to get into, so I'd like to just take out the entire stack.

As I said, it's already been taken down below the roof and made good by a previous owner, so there's no external work required. The wall it's attached to is internal and it's a detached house anyway, so no party wall issues, nor will it affect the stability of the ouside walls. The only possible complication is that two of the roof support joists are attached to the breast in the attic, so presumably they would need to be replaced with longer joists to the floor line above the remaining internal wall.

Taking as read that a proper quote can't be done without seeing it, roughly how big a job are we talking about here? From what I've read online, most of the complications seems to come from party wall issues and trying to support a remaining chimney, neither of which apply here, so I'm hoping it's a relatively straightforward job.

If I were to ask some builders for quotes (not going to try this myself), what sort of money should I expect to be quoted? Again, not looking for a blind quote, but assuming nothing odd crops up on inspection, are we talking hundreds or thousands?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:49 pm

Ian Dudley,
£2000 - £4000
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:15 pm