Europa 224 cutting out when running central heating
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Burnage
Labourer
Labourer

Europa 224 cutting out when running central heating

by Burnage » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:23 pm

I have a Europa 224 combi boiler that sometimes cuts out when running the central heating. The boiler shuts down and the middle and right-hand LEDs flash together. The manual says this error code means 'faulty central heating temperature probe NTC' (no mention of what NTC stands for). I have looked through the manual but cannot find that component referenced. After a little while the error code clears and the boiler returns to standby mode; it can then be started again.

Does the temperature probe go by another name, or maybe I have just missed it? Should I start by replacing it and seeing if the problem is resolved? I would greatly appreciate some advice, as the problem is highly intermittent and I am loath to waste money calling an engineer out only for it to work perfectly! Sometimes the boiler will run happily for hours; at other times it cuts out almost immediately.

Many thanks for your help.

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:05 am

I would make sure all the basics have been done 1st, like bleeding the rad's & making sure the pressure in the system is OK. Also make sure that any expansion or boiler outlets to the waste are not frozen.
NTC meaning: (Usually a screw in sensor similar to a thermostat on a car for the temperature gauge)

Negative Temperature Coefficient (NTC) thermistor are thermally sensitive semiconductor resistors, which show a decrease in resistance with temperature increases. NTC thermistors are made of polycrystalline mixed oxide ceramics. Making use of Negative Temperature Coefficient characteristics, NTC thermistor and temperature probe can be applied in temperature compensation, inrush current limit, temperature measurement and control, etc.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1