Expansion tanks
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sjw2404
Labourer
Labourer

Expansion tanks

by sjw2404 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:24 am

Following radiator replacement/removal during the summer of 2006 when the central heating was turned back on the water was heated only intermittently. Aside from the 'top' radiator needing bleeding quite often the radiators heated properly. When I recalled the person who had done the work he released the ball cock (?) in the expansion tank (it had no water in it) and everything is now fine.

I was surprised to receive a bill from him for doing this and said that he should have done this when he finished the radiator work. He claims that the radiators would not have heated at all with no water in the expansion tank and that it was something unrelated to the work he had done. Is he right?

Thanks

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

by marrtin » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:33 pm

A seized ball valve is a common fault with vented systems.

The valve must have been working when he refilled the system or it wouldn't have worked and it's failure is incidental to the work he carried out.

Obviously, an engineer will only guarantee work carried out by him and as the ballvalve was not installed by him, I cannot see why he should guarantee it's operation.

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:53 pm

sorry to rub salt into the wound but i agree with marrtin
the tank/ballvalve must have been working for the rads to work
but this brings up an intresting point and i would appreciate other peoples views
how long should a persons work be guaranteed for?
ill post it on the forumn as well
many thanks
bob

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:18 pm