exposed beams + wire system spotlites?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
midgie33
Labourer
Labourer

exposed beams + wire system spotlites?

by midgie33 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:46 am

Hiya,

Our living room has a low ceiling with exposed beams. We currently have one pendant light, which we wanted to replace with recessed 'down light' spotlights.

We've found out we can't do that, as there's not enough depth in the ceiling space above to fit the halogen thingies.

We thought about trying a wire spotlight system, but don't want a row of lights between the beams, or lots of rows between several beams.

Could the wires be suspended from the beams? I'd ideally like a square of wire with lights on it - would that even work?

Maybe someone has tackled this before and knows a better solution to the problem?

Thanks, Anna :)

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:41 pm

It is hard to fit lights between beams as the beams cast shadows. However the archaeologist suggested we return to original where I was doing the job and fit wall mounded up-lighters which would have been what the old oil or candle lights did. Stripping of the black paint and returning to wood coloured beams also helped. Then a click ceiling rose and small chandler over the table. With the click if the owners wanted to remove the table thy could also un-clip the lamp so the low chandler was no a problem.

But the balance between period look (16 century) and functional is never easy. And of course it is also what we are allowed to do. Sometimes it seems strange. He was allowed to rip out stair case and replace but could not replace stone slab floor.

Colours are a problem when reflecting off the ceiling which is not helped with dark beams. Also wiring in mineral insulated cable meant using conduit boxes for ceiling roses and the click fitted nicely into the conduit boxes.

I will admit I did not terminate the mineral cable I got an old guy in his 70's to do it as he had the experience which I lacked. Today likely would use Ali-tube cable.

However was never the best lit room.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:29 am