Exposed wiring
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
katefletcher
Labourer
Labourer

Exposed wiring

by katefletcher » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:03 pm

Hi all

In anticipation of having my kitchen installed over the next few days, last Friday I had an electrician put in the wiring for new under cupboard lighting, sockets, oven switch etc.

The thing is that, although the electrician chased into the wall for most of the way, he did not move the skirting board and simply stapled the wiring onto the front of the skirting board. He also did not fill the holes he had left in the wall.

Our plasterer (who obviously isn't an expert but has seen more of this type of thing than I have!) said that this wasn't normal, and thought that we might have difficulty getting buildings regs sign off on the work because of the exposed wires.

It would really be helpful if you could give me a steer on whether you think this was a shoddy job, or I need to do anything about this. The electrician hasn't been paid yet but is coming back to collect his money tomorrow morning.

Many thanks

Kate

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:35 am

Hi katefletcher,
A few things, if building controls are involved with this work, I guess you have notified the work to them and the electrician is not Part P qualified, So that being the case, I'd be expecting Building Controls to inspect work, which means your electrician's work should be up to the required standards and he will be expected to test it to prove so. Tell him of your concerns and don't pay untill signed off.
Kind Regards
KB

cuertech
Labourer
Labourer

exposed wiring

by cuertech » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:05 am

Hi kate

Its already tomorrow morning so maybe this is too late
The job does sound a little shoddy and isnt normal as your plasterer points out particularly if wiring isnt covered by some kitchen unit or other.
If it hits you immediately as dodgy then it probably is and may just be laziness on the part of the installer.
Its difficult to be too critically accurate at this distance but sounds like you have a case :)

Andy

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:59 pm