Extending Circuits
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Firetrapped
Labourer
Labourer

Extending Circuits

by Firetrapped » Wed May 02, 2007 1:23 pm

I am extending my attic and therefore need to extend the ring circuit. At the moment there is only one old single power socket.

There is only one cable, which runs directly to the socket – does this mean it is at the end of the circuit?

My plan is to extend the circuit using a junction box to new power sockets (possibly two). The current socket will not reach the new stud wall.

My question is whether I am restricted to the number of power sockets I can add and your thoughts on my method to extend?

I hope this makes some sense & thanks in advance.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed May 02, 2007 8:25 pm

you can only have one double socket on a spur from a ring, UNLESS you fit a fused connection unit (fused spur) in place of the original socket then you can add as many as you like to the spur because the max. load you can put on the spur will be 13Amps, as thats the biggest fuse you can fit.
Check that the existing socket is on a ring, if old it may be a radial direct from con.unit on a 20Amp fuse/mcb in which case you can add as many sockets as you want in an area not more than 20 sq. metres, regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:54 pm