Extending kitchen into garage
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
suereeko
Labourer
Labourer

Extending kitchen into garage

by suereeko » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:25 pm

We are hoping to extend our kitchen into the integral garage, which is unused and would also like to add a downstairs wc. Could anyone tell us if we will need to have 2 doors between the kitchen and wc? :(
We have read conflicting information on this, but i do recall years ago that it had to be 2.
I believe that we will only need building regs permission for this and not planning permission. The toilet will be plumbed direct into the outlet from the upstairs bathroom and the existing (side) garage door would be bricked up and have a window inserted.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:39 pm

suereeko,
i believe okay with one door but will have to apply for change of use to convert garage in to kitchen with wc.
KB

arbco
Ganger
Ganger

by arbco » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:32 pm

Just one door required. You may require planning if it is a newer property and the permitted development rights were removed by the developer. Check with the Council. Building regs definately required.

suereeko
Labourer
Labourer

Kitchen into garage

by suereeko » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:42 am

Many thanks for your replies.
Now awaiting paperwork from council for the building regs.

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:12 pm

Have converted many garages to living accomadation.
If attached planning generally not required.
You should be able to notify Building Control online and give them 3 days notice, and pay the BC fee.
Most Building Inspectors are very helpful if you ask them what is required,(they have the responsibility of protecting future purchasers).
I would imagine that if your garage is single skin, damp proofing, insulation, and roof ventilation would be their major concerns, and I would follow their advice on these at each stage.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1