Extending wire for sockets
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Fishie42
Apprentice
Apprentice

Extending wire for sockets

by Fishie42 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:42 am

Hi,

I have just removed some wall sockets that were screwed onto the skirting board, i want to sink these into the wall above new skirting.

But the wire is not long enough... Can i just extend the wire by connecting a new piece with a connector? (what type would i need) and then either put this beneath the floor boards or plaster over it and the wires!

Thanks for any help!

macspark
Labourer
Labourer

by macspark » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:40 pm

If i were you i would not use connectors just use the round through crimps rated at 32 amps or whatever they need to be and crimp the new wire to the old.

kuzz
Ganger
Ganger

by kuzz » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:16 pm

Through crimps? really? I put it to you that's an amazingly bad idea. Even worse if you intend to plaster over them after.
ideally re-wire the legs that aren't long enough. Or at the very least use a proper junction box under the floor.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:19 pm

I'm 100% with you KUZZ, unless crimped properly inside a box they would not have the required 2nd layer of insulation required.
much better to do as you suggest, & if using an underfloor 32A juction box mark a 'trap' board for any future access to fully comply with regs/ guidence notes ect.
regards,
SPARX

rflight
Tradesman
Tradesman

by rflight » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:43 pm

Kuzz, Sparx Does your method of creating a labeled trap for access to jb's conform with 7671. I have had a major argument on other forums with sparks who say that this method is inaccesable and contravenes the Regs. Personally i feel the Regs are a bit foggy on this and don't actually say what is classed as accessable or not. An example from them would be handy. What do you think???

kuzz
Ganger
Ganger

by kuzz » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:02 pm

firstly the reason we use junction boxes and not through crimps is the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 require in Regulation 10, that every joint and connection shall be mechanically and electrically suitable for use. In this respect the joint or connection should be of proper construction as regards conductivity, insulation, mechanical strength and protection. British Standard BS7671 (also known as the IEE Wiring Regulations – 16 th Edition) gives the requirements for electrical installations; the requirements for joints and terminations are contained in Section 526.
Electricity at work regs are statutory.
Secondly I hate junction boxes. They can almost always be avoided. 9yrs in the trade i have only ever installed two.
However lets be logical about accessible if the regs are unclear.
My personal interpritation.
Your house has a front door. It's locked. You/family members have the key. Is your house accessible? I would say yes, the people that need accsess can get accsess.
So a wooden floor board screwed down, a tradesperson/diyer, a toolbox much the same.

333rocky333
Ganger
Ganger

by 333rocky333 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:37 pm

R flight
how I read reg 526-04-01 a joint made by a compression tool does Not have to be accessible ,so I would think that a suitable enclosure reg526-03-02 with cable glands and crimped connections inside crimped by a proper quality crimp tool , would be acceptable beneath the floor , whereas a J/b with screw connections would have to be what they call accessible?

On the other hand though,
I was always led to believe that with screw terminal j/bs, by acessible they just meant you must be able to remove the cover or lid of the box or j/b to check or test it ,irrespective of whether its under the floor , in the loft or where-ever,and just so if you do need to when you do find it ,you can open it and have a look.
plastering over etc would prevent lid removal.

Most elects when fault finding would have a rough idea where a J/b was in use and rough idea where it was so this always seemed feasible

Millions of j/bs must be sold but you rarely see them , without other work to access them, ie removing lights etc,even with a trap it may have fitted carpet over it .
So I dont know

Maybe one day the regs will be more specific as everyone seems to interpret them differently.

rflight
Tradesman
Tradesman

by rflight » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:30 pm

Rocky/Kuzz i agree with everything you say as the regs are still very hazy on this topic. Any competant person (as the regs refer to) would have the common sense to know if a circuit has been wired using a junction box method and would therefore have the ability to locate it for fault finding or alteration. Picture a "diyer" changing a light fitting and coming across 2,3, or 4 loop in and switch wire cables and imagine how much easier for them (and us as there would be less post on this forum) if a joint boxed method had been used which left one switched live neutral and earth to connect to.

For me the effort of installing a labeled trap for return access to any joints is the act of a competant person, and therefore any other competant person should have no problems following on from there.

Maybe the regs frown on this because of the rise in popularity of lamenate and other types of sealed flooring which involves major works to access any jointing.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:49 am