Extending wires in existing sockets
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
goffo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Extending wires in existing sockets

by goffo » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:36 am

I am at present renewing sockets in my house due to age In a number of cases the wires are short,mainly because of the repositioning of terminations in the new ones. Please tell me the correct method of extending the short wires .

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:14 pm

There is no single method. Crimps using a calibrated set of crimp pliers is the norm but there are connectors with spring wire retention which can also do the job. The block connector is avoided in the main because screws can come lose and normally not enough room. Some times soldering and heat shrink sleeve is used. And some times easier to renew cable. It is up to the skill of the person doing the job to select the best method. It is no good telling someone to solder all the joints if they can't solder.
When I say calibrated crimp pliers I basically mean don't use the silly cheap ones. The amount of compression should be controlled by the pliers not you.
There are now some push fit junction boxes designed to be hidden in the wall but do not use the type with screws buried in a wall.
Eric

goffo
Apprentice
Apprentice

by goffo » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:11 am

Thanks for that advice, I was hoping you would say crimp as I have just purchased a ratchet crimper

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:40 am