Extension not conforming to regs - how to
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Zombies
Apprentice
Apprentice

Extension not conforming to regs - how to

by Zombies » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:26 pm

I have a small ext at the rear of the house and despite being built 40+ years ago it has been mentioned by a surveyor that it doesnt conform to building regs

to make it all nicey nice for these jobsworths how can I make it conform

could I make a timber frame, insulate etc for it to conform?

tony.g
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Extension not conforming to regs - how to

by tony.g » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:55 pm

As your extension was built 40 years ago, it does not have to conform to Building Regulations. It is surprising that a surveyor should make a comment such as this, as a competent surveyor should know better. For extensions and other notifiable work done after November 1985, the local Building Control department can give you a regularization certificate, confirming that the work as done complied with the Regs. in force at the time of construction (subject to the Inspector actually checking the work on site, and your payment of a fee).
However, the local authority will not entertain looking at work dating from before Nov. 1985 (it's doubtful that any inspectors would even remember what the regs were in the 1970s!).
In short, your extension does not have to comply with anything, and no one can insist that it should.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:13 am

totally agree with tony.g

Zombies
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Zombies » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:58 pm

buyers pulled out but is now under offer again, no issues from their survey this time

didnt realise the post was made live (why does it need to be doctored beforehand, why not have moderators)

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1