Extension within permitted development using existing lean to
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rogerald1983
Labourer
Labourer

Extension within permitted development using existing lean to

by Rogerald1983 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:24 pm

Hi,

I am in the process of planning an extension however I need to know what is actually considered as ?

Regs state "The term ‘original house’ means the house as it was rst built or as it stood on 1 July 1948 (if it was built before that date). Although you may not have built an extension to the house, a previous owner may have done so."

Our 1936 semi has a utility room which is original to the house, this measures about 2.5 meters from the rear of the house (where it joins the existing kitchen).

As I am planning to knock this down and re-build but a bit bigger, do I take the 3 meter measurement from the interior wall of existing utility (so the party wall between existing kitchen and utility) or from the end of the existing utility (so could go to a max of 5.5 meters from the kitchen wall) - not that I want to, I just want to make it a total of 3.5M

A bit confused as the utility is original to the house!

Many thanks in advance guys

oconnope
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Extension within permitted development using existing lean to

by oconnope » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:48 pm

In theory, it would be possible to extend 3 metres from the rear wall of the dwelling across the rear elevation - so your end result could be an extension projecting 3 metres from the wall of the house, and 3 metres from the wall of the utility room (resulting in a 5.5 metre 'extension' at the utility room) However, if you knock the utility room, you will then only be entitled to build a 3m from the rear of the house. It's a permitted development right to extend the house only, not to demolish a portion and extend. Sounds silly, but that's the rule.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1