External door quality
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gatehill
Labourer
Labourer

External door quality

Post by gatehill » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:43 pm

I am about to replace my wooden front door. It is standard size (78" x 33") so there is plenty of choice. Wickes sell their Carolina design for £90 whilst the equivalent B&Q model is £319.

I appreciate that there is obviously a difference in quality and I know Wickes' products are supposed to be "good"; however, I cannot see how there can be such a difference in price. Homebase doors also seem to be well in excess of £300.

I would appreciate any comments on the price/quality differences.

mdpmspitfire
Tradesman
Tradesman

door quality

Post by mdpmspitfire » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:59 pm

cheap doors such as the wicks etc ofter have stub tenon or even dowelled joints. the better quality doors have through mortice and tenon and are wedged. also the better doors brazilian or african mahogany rather than maranti or a softer hardwood. jewson do a good range of quality hardwood doors and will often discount their cat. prices
mark

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:49 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:44 pm