External Door Stop Metal Batton Removal After Conservatory Installation
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
vader7773
Labourer
Labourer

External Door Stop Metal Batton Removal After Conservatory Installation

by vader7773 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:55 pm

In the house we have just moved into the previous owners have added a conservatory. The door that was the back door is now an internal door and embded in the wooden door sill is a metal baton jutting upwards about 3/4". This was used to seal the door from drafts and the weather when the door was external but now the door is internal and the kids keep stubbing their toes on the metal.

How can I remove either the metal piece or then entire wooden sill and replace it with an internal, flat door thing??

Many thanks

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: External Door Stop Metal Batton Removal After Conservatory Installation

by proptech » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:39 am

Hi
Problem is that the sides of the frame are morticed into the sill, and the steel bar extends into the sides.
An internal door lining is entirely different in construction. What I would do if it were mine is remove the lot, make good the wall and fit a new internal lining, packed out if required, and a new door.

If you were to cut out the existing sill, you would probably find the rest of the frame needing extra support and fixing

vader7773
Labourer
Labourer

Re: External Door Stop Metal Batton Removal After Conservatory Installation

by vader7773 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:28 pm

Hi Proptech,

i had wondered why it had not been done when the concervatory was built. I guess the extra effort and cost explains it.i think i will go with your first option.

thanks for the reply!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:05 pm