External Power Socket for Shed but Need to get rid of Shed and Keep Power?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
saki
Tradesman
Tradesman

External Power Socket for Shed but Need to get rid of Shed and Keep Power?

by saki » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:45 am

I have a shed which has a power socket installed. Looks professionally done as house/shed only 10 years old. Heavy duty cable runs back to main fuse box and is on separate trip switch and box has RCD fitted.

I want to get rid of shed but retain power supply if possible as it is handy for lawn mower etc. Is it possible to fit an external power socket? If so what do I need to buy?

TIA

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: External Power Socket for Shed but Need to get rid of Shed and Keep Power?

by ericmark » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:22 pm

Likely a metal clad socket and a bird type house. Using a small bird type feeder with a small roof to keep the harsh weather away it is likely that no water will enter the socket and if it does it will drain away without any harm.

So covered bird table and socket is likely the answer.

Look at IP ratings and decide what will give you IP 54.

saki
Tradesman
Tradesman

by saki » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:49 am

Thanks for the advice. Looks a good option for my situation as I can seal the box against the wall,

The existing socket which is in the shed is a metal case and the cable enters the case via a metal screw connection outside and inside. Looks like a sealed unit to me. Would it have an IP mark on it if it complied with say IP54? I can't see one but difficult to examine it properly until I disconnect it. What should I be looking for - a stamp in the metal?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:02 am

IP54 means dust protected and water splashing against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effect. Often we leave the underside with holes in so any small amount of water can get out. Being total sealed can be bad.

It is impossible to have a socket you can use which is totally sealed you simply could not get the plug. You just want it sealed against the likes of spiders and out of any direct rain.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:20 am