Extraction problem - second hand smoke entering property

Postby n17 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:59 am


I've got a bit of an odd problem (sorry if this post is a bit long and rambling).

I live in an ex-local authority flat in a block still owned by the council. We have an old communal extraction system with a shared pipe. All the air from the three floor block is sucked out of the bathrooms, up through the pipe and out of the building.

Our neighbours smoke and unfortunately as we are on the top floor and the system doesn't work very well, despite various repairs, smoke from the other flats enters our property. As we have two young children and asthma in the family this is a problem. This has been dragging on for three years and the council are refusing to do any more about it.

We're hoping our MP can help, otherwise we have only two options - legal or having the work done ourselves if not too pricey.

So... does anyone know if it would be possible to fit an extractor of some sort to our flat which would clear our flat of the polluted air and/or stop it entering the flat in the first place? Is it legal? Any idea of how much we might expect to pay?

Thank you for your time.
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:47 am


Simply Build It

Postby Brickworkz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:01 am

These type of properties used to be fitted with an open vent so you should be able to find a suitable replacement that also works as a shut off.

When the building extraction system is running then the vent will open and when it is off, it will close automatically due to no draw.
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:22 am

Postby n17 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:14 am

Thanks Brickworkz, that's very helpful.
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:47 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics