extractor fan in utility

Postby rose » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:27 pm

am fitting a hob in utility room and will need some form of extraction.

Can a ventilation fan be used or
do I need an extractor fan?
rose
Progress to next rank:
26.7%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby kbrownie » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:08 pm

an extractor fan will serve the purpose best
kbrownie

Postby rose » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:16 am

[quote="kbrownie"]an extractor fan will serve the purpose best[/quote]

the lekkie has told us that we will also need isolator switches fitted outside the rooms that need ventilation,eg wc, bathroom even though they have windows.
Is this correct information
thanks
rose
Progress to next rank:
26.7%

Postby kbrownie » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:19 pm

sorry I missed your reply,
Here goes as I understand it, part f of building regs that ventilation is required in kitchens, utility, and bathrooms. Not WCs.
This applies to rooms where the windows are openable and are located on external walls.
In rooms without openable windows the same applies but fans must have a 15 minute overrun.
When rooms have electric lighting it is usual that these are used to power the fans too. This may not be convenient for your electrician to do but I wouldn't totally agree with putting the isolators outside the rooms, could depend on the zones within the bathroom but in the other rooms that is not an issue unless a bath or shower are installed in these rooms.
But it's difficult to see the logic behind your electricians thinking, it could well be the senisible option.
kbrownie

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!