extractor fan in utility
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rose
Ganger
Ganger

extractor fan in utility

Post by rose » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:27 pm

am fitting a hob in utility room and will need some form of extraction.

Can a ventilation fan be used or
do I need an extractor fan?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:08 pm

an extractor fan will serve the purpose best

rose
Ganger
Ganger

Post by rose » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:16 am

[quote="kbrownie"]an extractor fan will serve the purpose best[/quote]

the lekkie has told us that we will also need isolator switches fitted outside the rooms that need ventilation,eg wc, bathroom even though they have windows.
Is this correct information
thanks

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:19 pm

sorry I missed your reply,
Here goes as I understand it, part f of building regs that ventilation is required in kitchens, utility, and bathrooms. Not WCs.
This applies to rooms where the windows are openable and are located on external walls.
In rooms without openable windows the same applies but fans must have a 15 minute overrun.
When rooms have electric lighting it is usual that these are used to power the fans too. This may not be convenient for your electrician to do but I wouldn't totally agree with putting the isolators outside the rooms, could depend on the zones within the bathroom but in the other rooms that is not an issue unless a bath or shower are installed in these rooms.
But it's difficult to see the logic behind your electricians thinking, it could well be the senisible option.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:35 am