Extractor Fan Problem After Changing Old Unit for New
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
epatz
Labourer
Labourer

Extractor Fan Problem After Changing Old Unit for New

by epatz » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:23 pm

I've got a simple problem with a bathroom extractor fan but can't work out what it is! My old fan gave up on me last week (it had one sad-sounding last try, then completely stopped working the next time I turned it on). It was pretty old, so I bought a new one and attempted to fit it. Followed the instructions, putting grey wire in neutral, black wire in switched live and brown wire in permanent live. It doesn't work. Thought it might be a faulty unit, so exchanged for a new one. Still doesn't work. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Extractor Fan Problem After Changing Old Unit for New

by proptech » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:04 am

Hi epatz

Sounds like this is a timer model that is controlled with the lighting.
Unfortunately the wire colours mean nothing unless you can confirm that the cable is connected as you expect at the other end.
There may be an isolator on the circuit, a fuse may have blown, there may be a bad connection somewhere, possibly on the neutral.
You need to establish that there is 230 volts between permanent live and neutral, and switched live and neutral when the light is on. Obviously this is a live test that needs a proper test instrument. So safety first, please do not attempt this unless you are confidant that you can do it safely.

Your only other option would be - power off, and trace the wiring back to source, providing you have access.

epatz
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Extractor Fan Problem After Changing Old Unit for New

by epatz » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:44 pm

Thank you SO MUCH Proptech. Your reply was very helpful, and it turned out that the problem was with the wire colours being mixed up. We have now fixed the fan and it's working beautifully. Thanks again.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:10 am