Extractor Fan Questions - Can a Pull Cord Fan Still Work on a Light Switch?
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Hoopster71
Apprentice
Apprentice

Extractor Fan Questions - Can a Pull Cord Fan Still Work on a Light Switch?

Post by Hoopster71 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:35 am

Hi, Im in the process of looking to fit an extractor fan into my bathroom wall. I've found one I like but it comes with a pull cord option. Would I still be able to activate it with the light switch if I choose this? Or is it one or the other i.e pull cord OR light switch activation. It would be quite handy to have both if possible! Also, apart from an exterior vent/grille and a length of ducting what else will I need? Whats a worm drive ducting clip?
Thanks in advance!

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Extractor Fan Questions - Can a Pull Cord Fan Still Work on a Light Switch?

Post by proptech » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:47 pm

Hi Hoopster71

The type of fan that comes on with the light contains a timer that allows the fan to run for a set time after switching off.
The type with a pull cord has no timer, and is only switched by the cord.

Providing you have the ability to create the opening in the wall, there shouldn't be anything else needed apart from the electrical work. The worms are a neat way of securing the outside grill from within, I assume you must be looking at Expelair, I can't think of another fan that uses them. Remember to slope the duct slightly down to the outside in case of rain penetration.

Hoopster71
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Hoopster71 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:55 pm

Cheers for the info! Don't think its an Expelair, the clip was listed under some 'recommended' for this product section on the web page. Needless to say I ordered the pull chord variant,plastic ducting and exterior grille. Is it possible to drill the hole (125mm) from the inside without damaging the render or will it require drilling from the outside? The reason Im asking is that the bathroom is two storeys up (plus a bit extra) and Im struggling to find anyone who'll drill the hole for me. Scaffolding is out of the question due to access,or lack of access to my back garden. Its a brick wall btw.
Cheers once again!

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Post by proptech » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:43 pm

In a word, yes, it can be drilled from inside. You do need a fair bit of kit though. The nearest size diamond bit would be 127mm. the power drill needs to be a bit of a beast, and it must have a safety clutch. You simply drill a pilot hole, and go in with the diamond core on rotary only (no hammer action) so there's very little breakout on the outside.
Before you go off to the hire shop, it's worth mentioning that there's a LOT of dust, and in order to handle a tool with that power, you must have a nice firm level area to stand on.

Hoopster71
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Hoopster71 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:31 am

Cheers proptech! I'll give it a go this weekend! :)

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:54 pm