Failed Security Bolt on French Window
Post your questions and get answers concerning many areas of this subject

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ascalon
Labourer
Labourer

Failed Security Bolt on French Window

Post by Ascalon » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:53 pm

My French Windows have security bolts fitted to the top and bottom edge of each door. These locks are closed or opened by rotating a brass knob fixed to the escutcheon plate. When unscrewed these plates have a splined rod extending from them. These are quite ordinary and commonplace bolts.
Unfortunately the female inner part of the lock is obviously worn since rotating the knob fails to have any effect. The splined rod shows no wear. Since the door cannot open, one is denied access to its top edge. How can I fix this when I can't get access ?

Doctor DG
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Failed Security Bolt on French Window

Post by Doctor DG » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:50 pm

These are tricky even for a locksmith to open when they fail. One easy way is to use a thin (1mm) metal cutting disc on an angle grinder. Then buy new mortice rack bolts

Ascalon
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Ascalon » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:19 pm

Doctor DG wrote:These are tricky even for a locksmith to open when they fail. One easy way is to use a thin (1mm) metal cutting disc on an angle grinder. Then buy new mortice rack bolts

I guess that any method is going to damage the door and frame but your suggestion is likely to be the least destructive and most effective.
Thanks !

Doctor DG
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Doctor DG » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:34 pm

There may be some slight marking . It depends how tight the door is fitting the frame. If you can see the bolt going across from the inside and use the thinnest disc you can find it shouldn't be too bad.

Ascalon
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Ascalon » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:26 pm

Doctor DG wrote:There may be some slight marking . It depends how tight the door is fitting the frame. If you can see the bolt going across from the inside and use the thinnest disc you can find it shouldn't be too bad.

Sod's law being what it is, it'd be tough to get a razor blade into the joint between the door and frame where the bolt is. Still, your suggestion seems to be the most likely one. Thanks.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:44 pm