Fault finding process?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
garnett
Labourer
Labourer

Fault finding process?

by garnett » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Hi,

I live in a 2 year old 3 story townhouse. Boiler is an Ideal Icos HE18 located on the g/f and pump (pressurised system) located on the top floor. The rads on the top floor achieve 70 deg c with a drop of around 10 deg across them. Middle floor achieve around 40 deg (with roughly 8 deg drop across them)while ground floor only 25 deg (with 8 deg drop across them). I have tried 'balancing' to a degree by just switching off the hot rads to see if the cold rads get hotter with no success. I have also checked the pump (grundfos 15 60) which was set to middle speed and ncreased this to fast with no effect. I have now switched all back to as found and am scratching my head. Could it be
a) more accurate balancing needed (cant see how to do any more as hottest rads at top of house lock-shields are less than 1/4 turn open)
b) pump problem
c)boiler incorrectly sized for system.

A note to add is that the next door neighbours have the same problem which sort of rules out b.

Also TRV's fitted to 9 rads but all set to max at present . Cant imagine this is an issue as the top of the house is roasting and the rads are still hot constantly so not cutting out on TRV's.

Any help appreciated before I call a plumber.

David.

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:41 am

Hi,

The TRVs on the top floor are not working then are they? They should shut down when up temp.
I suggest that you get the system as hot as its going then shut TRVs on rads that are hot and see if that pushes the heat round.
Then let us know.

garnett
Labourer
Labourer

by garnett » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:17 pm

I believe that the trv's are working on the top floor as if i reduce the setting they cut out just think that they are not achieving their cut out temp when set to max ( not sure what this equates to in deg)I did try closing the TRV's on the top floor (only one rad without a trv on the top floor) but this didn't seem to make the lower floors get any hotter????

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1