faulty light fittings
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jonno1234
Labourer
Labourer

faulty light fittings

by jonno1234 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:27 pm

I recently moved into a new house and have had 5 halogen light fittings fitted, they are 12v fittings which are fitted with a step down transformer, they are not fitted to dimmer switches just standard switches. I purchased from a well known high street store and have had an electrician install them. 2 weeks after fitting them one stopped working so I replaced all the bulbs and still nothing. I had the fitting replaced and that is working fine now. Now the same has happened to another 2 fittings. The wiring in the house is 6 months old and the fittings have been wired correctly so I am a little unsure as to why this keeps happeing.
If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would be very grateful.

Many thanks in advance
jonno

333rocky333
Ganger
Ganger

by 333rocky333 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:58 pm

Are the lamps correct rating and within the rating of the transformer

Are the fittings/trans overheating possibly caused by the lampheat

Could they just be poor quality fittings

The price does not necessary mean the fittings are good ,

Do you have brand/ model number

If you like the fittings it is sometimes better to bin there tran and fit your own better Quality one above in the ceiling, if possible.

333rocky333
Ganger
Ganger

????? for admin

by 333rocky333 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:08 pm

ADMIN

This is just a question
PLEASE DO NOT THINK IT IS A COMPLAINT

Is there a logical reason why the Quotes and Emotions do not show up on the posts.
:D :D
Is this me doing it wrong

The quote part would possibly help the answering of posts
The emoticons as long as not abused
may calm the panic of the people in distress
Many thanks

Quotes have been used to great disadvantage in the past Rocky. The forum comes up in google for a great many questions asked in searches. If the same text is repeated too often in the content of a web site, google can drop that particular page for repetition. This is because some sites try and cheat the search engines by constantly repeating the same thing because they have little content. We agree its a pain having to copy and paste quotes but its better than real good valid answers and great content being lost because the search engines wont list it. Emotions are completely uneccesary and are chat room stuff. This is a site for helping people with DIY and self build problems. If a little yellow face helps calm people more than a sensible, safe answer then they should be in a padded room rather than a forum.

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:29 pm

May be getting too hot or you are using wrong size bulbs or both. But also can be cheap fitting. Electricians will normally use a regular whole sale outlet who in turn will not stock units which have been troublesome in the past. There is no way to work out which are likely to fail so once a good make is found electricians tend to stick to same ones.

jonno1234
Labourer
Labourer

faulty light fittings

by jonno1234 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:57 am

Thanks for your quick response guys, the light fittings are just branded with Next on them no manufacturer's name, they are all different aswell apart from 2 of which one has blown and the other hasn't. All of them have 5-8 x 10w hallogen bulbs which is what Next supply and recomend. The bulbs are also at least 6 inches from the transformer which are built in to the top of the fitting so I don't think they would be over heating from the bulbs.
It is strange that they are not the same light fittings however they are all from Next, I would have thought that they would have quality checked them all as they must have sold thousands of these. It would be interesting to know if many other people have had the same problem.

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it.
Kind Regards, jonno

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:49 pm