Faulty shower
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
galgorm
Labourer
Labourer

Faulty shower

by galgorm » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:36 pm

There is no power getting through to our shower.
I have examined the fuse box and there deosn't appear to be any issues there. All other electrics are fine.
It was working perfectly until a few weeks ago.
The light on the pull switch isn't illuminated wgen switched to on.
Any ideas.

gwhizz
Labourer
Labourer

faulty shower

by gwhizz » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:31 pm

hi galgorm

try checking the wires in the switch for the shower.

hope this helps

gwhizz

Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

Faulty shower

by Jeffmo » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:37 pm

easiest thing maybe that a wire has come loose in the switch head , showers should be on a dedicated circuit either with a seperate RCBO or on the rcb side of your consumer unit , if its an old type FUSE box and its wired straight into that , then don't use it anyway .Assuming the shower is in a bathroom then this is classed as a special area and should only be worked on by a part p qualified electrician . My simple advice is get a man in ( or woman) .Best regards Jeff

galgorm
Labourer
Labourer

by galgorm » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:23 pm

It's a fairly new shower...a couple of years old and put in as part of an extension....thus the consumer unit does,t seem to have anything added to it that I can easily identify as running to that particualr shower.
Ironically our origianl shower blew its fuse on Sunday and that was easy to sort out.
I did take apart the switch and the wires looked fine.
Might be time for a pro methinks but I did get it serviced about 6 months ago which is disappointing.

Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

shower probs

by Jeffmo » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:51 pm

the original shower blew its fuse , are you saying you have two showers in the house. When you had the new shower fitted ,was it a plumber or an electrician that fitted it all ie plumbing and wiring .? If things start blowing fuses then its not really enough just replacing the fuse , there must be a cause and its this that you need to find . Regards the new one , there should be a label in the consumer unit that simply says 'shower ' if there isn't then the cable should be at least 6mm cross sectional diameter , if there are no thick cables in the cu then you have serious problems and definately need an electrician , if the shower is rated at anything over 8kw then the cable needs ideally to be 10mm , over 9 kw ideally 16mm cable and on dedicated circuit ( separate mcb/fuse ) Like i said best get someone in before the undertaker has to call . Best regards and good luck Jeff

galgorm
Labourer
Labourer

by galgorm » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:37 pm

There is "shower" fuse in the cu (30amp) which I replaced on sunday after our older shower shorted. However, tihis happened several weeks after the "new" shower stopped working and has been fine since.
Both were installed by plumbers/sparks.
The shower is a "New Team" "Ten Four" - not overly impressed with it to be honest. Temperature of water never seems constant.
I just thought it was strange that no electricity seem to be getting to the switch.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:39 pm