Fence blown down after a week - was it put up correctly?
Topics ranging from metal fencing, wooden fencing and concrete fencing to name just a few. find answers and post your questions here

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Wolfy77
Labourer
Labourer

Fence blown down after a week - was it put up correctly?

by Wolfy77 » Sun May 11, 2014 10:33 am

Hi guys.
I'm having my garden landscaped at the minute. As part of the job I'm having approx 100ft of fencing installed down one side.
The landscaper has got someone else in to do the fencing and they've installed a wooden post one where all the slats are put on vertically individually to create a seamless fence as you look at it from my side. That was a week ago. Yesterday in not very strong winds approx 5m of it has blown down.
My questions are, they have only put horizontal fixing battens top and bottom. Should there be a middle batten?
They have fixed the fencing back with nails. Surely screws would be stronger?
The nails have already loosened in other places I can see and just looks a bit of a bodge.
Also as the fence runs up a slope there are huge gaps under the weather board supporting it. I've been promised these gaps will be filled but I can't see how they will achieve this?
The landscaper is back on site tomorrow and I could do with some feedback to give to him. I think it's been poorly constructed from the start and needs taking down and starting again.
The landscaper reckons the fence has already taken a day longer than anticipated so I'm pretty sure he's not gonna be up for that idea.
Is be grateful of any feedback thanks.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Fence blown down after a week - was it put up correctly?

by welsh brickie » Tue May 13, 2014 9:31 pm

sounds like its botched, and your unhappy with the finish, don't pay unless its done correctly

jamie86
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Fence blown down after a week - was it put up correctly?

by jamie86 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:23 pm

whether he's happy with being asked to redo it or not, he's clearly cut corners in the first place so you have every right it stand your ground. Any fence blowing down after a week is ridiculous, whether you're DIY minded or not!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:01 pm