Fencing Off my Driveway
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
transitman
Labourer
Labourer

Fencing Off my Driveway

by transitman » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:03 pm

Hi Fist post here and I'm After some advice or ideas.
I live on a fairly new housing estate and all the frontages of the properties are open plan.
I want to seperate my land from the land next door as they keep driving over my drive to get their car out as their drive only allows cars back to back whereas I can park side to side. So to save him moving 1 car if my car is not on my drive he will drive over mine.
My deeds state that no fences are allowed to be erected but plants and shrubs are allowed. 1 neighbour fenced his off but was made to take it down and a couple have planted 12inch - 18inch high hedges with no objections.
I dont want to plant anything, as the area between the 2 driveways is full of limestone chippings with pea gravel on top, so if I plant some shrubs I confident they wont last more than a month as I can't dig the limestone out from next door.
So fences are out and shrubs etc wont last, does anybody have any ideas what I can do to segragate the two pieces of land while conforming to Planning restrictions?
I have included a photo to give you an idea of the situation.
Cheers.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

driveway

by welsh brickie » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:58 pm

Its always best to try and solve neighbourly problems first with negotiation,If you try to do anything without talking there is always problems.
Ok what I would suggest is remove the chippings lay a landscape membrane and bed heathers or ground covering shrubs,or the odd dwarf conifer and add large rocks to break up the area then put the chippings over the membrane to keep it down.
This way its low maintaince,cheap and the rocks are a deterant to drive over.

elwood
Ganger
Ganger

by elwood » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:35 pm

hi

Buy some large heavy plant pots (maybe made of railway sleepers).

Plant them up with shrubs using annuals to get seasonal color.

Bye.
Last edited by elwood on Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

transitman
Labourer
Labourer

Re: driveway

by transitman » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:18 pm

welsh brickie wrote:Its always best to try and solve neighbourly problems first with negotiation,If you try to do anything without talking there is always problems.
Ok what I would suggest is remove the chippings lay a landscape membrane and bed heathers or ground covering shrubs,or the odd dwarf conifer and add large rocks to break up the area then put the chippings over the membrane to keep it down.
This way its low maintaince,cheap and the rocks are a deterant to drive over.

Welsh brickie.... thanks for your input but removing the chippings and planting is out of the question as I cant remove their side, so plants will die. As for solving with negotiation I don't want to go there as i have my reasons.

elwood Posted

hi

Buy some large heavy plant pots plant (maybe made of railway sleepers).

Plant them up with shrubs using annual to get seasonal color.

Bye.

elwood... Thanks. I like the idea of the railway sleepers I could make a raised bed with these and I wouldnt have to do any digging out.
Nice one Thanks.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1