Final Coat
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
richrich
Labourer
Labourer

Final Coat

by richrich » Wed May 30, 2007 7:16 pm

Hello,

I ama keen DIY'er and having been beaten by plastering for many years, decided i would have to learn for future use. I have a very good DVD from a plastering school called Able Skills which has given me a lot more of an idea and now plenty of practice on some plasterboard set up in my garage.

The only point that was not very clear on the DVD and that i would appreciate any advice on is this :

The dvd demos a window and then shows how to cut angle beading and use bonding plaster to secure around the frame. Once it has been set around the frame, the remaining bonding plaster is used to fill between the wall edges and window beading and once applied, levelled of with a feather board. That clearly leaves a rough finish that is level with the beading edges.

The DVD then moves on to show you finishing plaster on simple plasterboard walls. Once shown how to do the 2 applications of finishing plaster and finishing techniqes, it never went back to say how the bonding plaster around the window was ever finished.

What has confused me was the featherboard was used to level the bonding plaster to the edge of the beading, this clearly leaves no space for finishing plaster to be added ???

Ginga
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Ginga » Thu May 31, 2007 10:51 pm

We always scrape back a few mill along the edge of the bead and around door frames etc using the back of the trowel, this allows the finish plaster to finish flush with the bead / frame

Ginga

_GazMic_
Labourer
Labourer

by _GazMic_ » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:14 pm

Yeah run a bucket trowel along the bead to scrape out the bonding, think this is called 'corking"

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:18 am