Finding a 29 Inch Replacement Internal Door
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
linker3000
Labourer
Labourer

Finding a 29 Inch Replacement Internal Door

by linker3000 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:29 pm

I am replacing some of the internal doors in my house. They are all a standard height (78" or 1981mm) and most are 27" wide (one is 30")...but one is 29" (737mm) wide. Any ideas where I can get a 29" moulded 4-panel door!?

The alternatives, I guess, are:

Cut down a solid 30" door (I have one available) - but taking off 1" is more than the recommended amount (the info says 5mm max). If I do this on the non-hinge side I can't see there being any major issues unless too much of the joints is removed (??)

Re-size the door frame to 27" with a 2" batten and cut down/move the door edging - which will also help if the door needs changing again some time.

All advice and suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

WGT52
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Finding a 29 Inch Replacement Internal Door

by WGT52 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:04 pm

It can be done, but it isn't that easy.

Firstly be sure that you (or the SO :-)) understands that the door will not looked balanced - i.e. the 2 side bars will not be equal.

So apart from the door you will need softwood 2x1.25 inches (sorry, I think and work in imperial) by the lenght of the door.

On the door indentify the 'Lock' side and the 'Hinge' side - Mark the lock side very clearly so you don't get them mixed up.

With a saw, on the Hinge side, cut off the 1 inch excess.

You may now need to chop out any remaining filler timber between the 2 outer panels and clean up any glue residue. Do not cut out the top and bottom rails.

Now take the 2x1.25 timber and reduce the thickness until it is a Tight (but not bulging) fit into the door. Glue the timber to the door facing panels with just a little (1/16 or so) standing proud.

Using suitable screws - ones that will go at least an inch better an inch and a half into the newly inserted timber put a screw through the top and bottom rails into the new timber hinge rail.

Leave 24 hours before hanging.

mw40784
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Finding a 29 Inch Replacement Internal Door

by mw40784 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:03 pm

Thanks WGT52 for wonderful reply.

I also have same problem with my home front door and now it is fixed.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:04 am