Fine cracks in plaster
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Newps
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fine cracks in plaster

Post by Newps » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:58 am

Hello,
My whole living room was skimmed in June 2007, took 2 days to skim and plaster and 5 days to dry so we used a de humidifier for a couple of days.

I have notice on 3 walls some very fine hairline cracks and if you tap around them the sound changes as if hollow, the cracks can only be noticed when your really up close to the wall.

Should i contact the plasters and complain, he gave a 6 month warranty cover.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:10 pm

HI Newps,
Ring him up, sounds like plaster not bonded to wall, but don't mention de-humidifier to him. It will have taken moisture out of skim, plaster best left to dry on it's own.
Good Luck
KB

Newps
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Newps » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:35 pm

[quote="kbrownie"]HI Newps,
Ring him up, sounds like plaster not bonded to wall, but don't mention de-humidifier to him. It will have taken moisture out of skim, plaster best left to dry on it's own.
Good Luck
KB[/quote]

Hi KB, thanks for that, the plasterer came around today as all the walls now have small cracks, some long and some short, some zig zag up and down. Mostly they run horizonatlly across the wall.

He said its dried to quick and said he would fill the cracks and repaint, also said he would apply some special tape which was about an inch wide and had square patterns on it. He said this tape would remain and be unseen, neverheard of this tape before. He also said the plaster was OK although i did show him one crack where their was a clear lip as one side of the crack was raised slightly.

Is he taking the micky, do you reckon it need replastering?

Cheers

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:25 pm

Hi Newps, he's done you a shoddy job and now starting to bodge it up, the tapes he's using are they like a nylon mesh? they use these to cover the joints in the boards before they skim as well large cracks. If your not happy with the job. Give him the chance to re-skim it, he's given six months warranty i'd expect the plaster to last 15-20 years plus not six months.
You've expected a professional job doing, lay it on. I'd be concerned over walls sounding hollow too. Don't stand for any nonsense!
Best of Luck
KB

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:49 pm