finishing a pine table top to give it an aged look
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dan Stewart
Apprentice
Apprentice

finishing a pine table top to give it an aged look

by Dan Stewart » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:56 pm

Hi there, I have a newish pine table that is currently varnished and has an orange colour to it. I would like to age the table top by sanding the varnish but I am unsure how to finish it. The thoughts I had were to use caustic soda to age? Use vinegar and wirewool? Use wax? Or strip and do nothing at all and let it age over time? I am concerned about waxing it as I suspect the wax will need constant applications and like the idea of leaving it with nothing on? Does anyone have any experience of doing this and using the above methods alone or in combination? Thank you

thedoctor

Re: finishing a pine table top to give it an aged look

by thedoctor » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:37 am

Hi

Although I have not tried this myself on a table, there are certainly ways to age its appearance. A quick Google brings up quite a few different techniques. One such site gives a few examples and their resulting appearance: http://countrydesignstyle.com/this-old-wood/

In terms of the wax, as you say, it will need re-coating regularly to maintain its appearance so there’s a little work involved if you go down this route.

Leaving it bare will produce an appealing finish (I certainly like this look) but the surface will be left open to any spillages, water etc…. that may cause damage.

If you do opt for ageing the surface, it’s always a good idea to try it on an inconspicuous area first to see what the final finish will look like and that you are happy with it

Kind Regards

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:09 pm