Fire Door - Utility Room to Garage
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tanglefoot
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fire Door - Utility Room to Garage

Post by Tanglefoot » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:02 pm

I want to replace a badly fitted fire door and frame between my garage and utility room which I want to replace. Can anyone tell me the requirements of such a door please? I understand that there should be a 100mm step but does the fire door have to have a closer fitted and is their any special requirement with regard to locks - mortice/yale etc? Also does there need to be some sort of lintel above the door frame - there currently isn't....Thanks

Joiner_Mike
Ganger
Ganger

Your fire door

Post by Joiner_Mike » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:30 pm

Hi how are you?
The lintel above the door is normaly only in place for load beraing walls, but like door clousers i have found this to be a local decission. One area has a building inspector who wants one thing and the next area 3 miles down the road wants something different.
I would contact the local building inspector for your area and ask them directly.
Regaurding the locks. It doesnt matter reguarding fire quality which locks to use. The only thing i would consider is a door that can be opened from the inside at ease. I mean there is no use it being a fire door if you have to unlock 3 locks to get out. the idea of a fire door is an escape route in an emergancy.

Unclesatan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Fire Door - Utility Room to Garage

Post by Unclesatan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:22 pm

[quote="Tanglefoot"]... and is their any special requirement with regard to locks - mortice/yale etc? [/quote]

My answer isn't to do with Building Regs, but it's something you should consider.

With regards to locks ring your insurance company, if they consider you in a high risk area they will require a 5 lever mortice on the door between the garage and house otherwise they don't require any particular lock on the door.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1