FIRE DOORS
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
FROOBIN
Labourer
Labourer

FIRE DOORS

by FROOBIN » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:02 am

I have a three storey house which contains 6 individual self contained flats. I know that I have to have the front door as a fire door.

Does anyone know whether ALL the other doors inside the flat need to be fire doors. We are refurbishing what was previsouly a rented flat with a view to sell.

As you open the front door of the flat there is a corridor with two rooms off to the left and 1 to the right and one room at the end of the corridor.

If anyone can tell me exactly what I need and whether the internal doors can be just that rather than fire, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

arbco
Ganger
Ganger

by arbco » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:49 pm

Presuming there are 2 flats per floor you can treat this as a small building and use the internal doors of the flat to create the required 2 door protection to the stair, and also meet the requirements for a flat over 4.5m above ground level.

Hence the internal doors to the flat should be fire doors. I haven't dealt with non domestic since the new edition of part B part so I think (please check) that the doors will have to be FD20 doors i.e. a 30 minute fire door without a smoke seal or intumescent strip, and may not under the new regs require a self closer (previously it would have!) The front door should be a full 30 minute door including letter box etc..

Having said all that if you have Building Regulations permission for the conversion to 6 flats then there is no legal obligation to carry out the upgrade, but maybe aa moral one when selling!!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1