fire proof stud wall
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mor22
Labourer
Labourer

fire proof stud wall

by mor22 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:42 pm

As a requirement for a mortgage, I am required to build a fireproof wall in the loft space between my property and the neighbour. The surveyor suggested that a double layer of plasterboard would be sufficient for this. Does anybody have any advice for building this? I would like to know whether to build the stud-work from metal or wood and if the wall should be (double?) clad with the plaster board on both sides?

I also need to work out how to get lots of plasterboard up through a small-ish loft hatch....

Thanks

billy d
Apprentice
Apprentice

by billy d » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:08 am

Hi Mor 22 fist of the fire protection is in the plaster boards,a normal plaster board has a fire rating of 1/2 hour so a double skin will give you 1hour just doing one side of the studs will do you.
You would be better of with metal studding, and plaster board does come in 60 CM widths and this SHOULD pass through your hatch.
The metal studding SOLE (bottom piece) and HEADER(top piece) have a different cross section than the studs.The studs slide into the sole and header are drilled and held in place by a pop rivet or dry wall screw.
If you fit 60CM boards you must fit the studs at 30 CM centers because the 2 nd skin of plaster will have to over lap all buts and seams of the first skin of plaster boards.Only then will you have the 1 hour rating.
Hope this helps Billy.

mor22
Labourer
Labourer

by mor22 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:27 pm

Thanks Billy,

I have a couple more questions: Will I need to get it skimmed after I've put up the board and I assume that I should be screwing the board on to the studs rather than nailing it as I'll not be able to nail into metal studding?

Thanks for your reply

billy d
Apprentice
Apprentice

by billy d » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:32 am

HI mor you don't need to skim the boards just use a gyp rock filler for the seams and buts.It's normal for the boards to be rounded on two sides, where you but up on the top or bottom you can cut a bevel along the board with a Stanley knife and just put the filler in.Use dry wall gyp rock screws for metal studding.Position the sole over the party wall(thats the wall that separates the two houses)plumb it up and see if it lands on a rafter if it does not put a piece of 2by2 between the rafters so you can fasten the header to them.Tips mark the center of the studs as you go and when you fit the second skin you can see where the studs are to screw to.
Use all the off cuts to fill in the awkward corners just bevel the edges with the knife and land them on the studs or header.One last thing you will need a cordless screw driver for the screws.Sorry about the long post hope this helps Billy

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:13 pm