fire protection 2
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Nats Design
Labourer
Labourer

fire protection 2

by Nats Design » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:28 pm

I am currently doing plans for a loft conversion and I would like to know if a protected stairwell is required as well as fire escape velux windows in the loft space. Also would I have to provide 30 minute fire doors and partition walls at first floor level if I have velux fire escape windows. I am not sure if the regulations require both of the above mentioned or either one of the mentioned to comply with regs. It would be difficult and very expensive to provide protection from loft to main door ground floor exit and it does not seem practical. Can you please get back to me as soon as possible.

strud81
Labourer
Labourer

by strud81 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:42 pm

It would always be a wise idea to provide a fire escape window on top of having the fire doors throughout (essentially creating the protected corridor from loft to front door.

Its frustrating, but building regulations are put into place to prevent disasters and protect human life. The last place on earth you want to be is in your loft during your fire without a window the fire-brigade can get you out of or get yourself out of (invest in a wire-ladder and a BIG C02 extinguisher for peace of mind)

Speak to your building control officer about it. They're much more about finding a practical solution than the planners, who just seem obstinate about matters at best.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:53 am