fire regs for stairs

Postby jacki » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:31 pm

we want to take our hall wall away so the stairs come straight into the lounge. Can we do with fire regs or does stairs have to be enclosed?? :?:
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:21 pm


Simply Build It

Postby Jim357 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:27 pm

hi there.. i am no expert.. but..
you will need to let us know more..i.e.
is it a flat or a detached house.. first floor or second or attic stairs..
i hope you find the answer... or you can call the council, and they can put you in touch with someone who knows.. in the planning office.. or visit thier planning web site.. and find answers there maybe.
good luck
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:06 pm

Postby thedoctor » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:32 pm

See our project on building regulations and click through to the Planning portal web site where you can read all the regs. It is the Building Control Department of your local council you need to sopeak to, not the planning office.
Site Admin
Posts: 2253
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:15 pm

Postby jacki » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:21 am

Thanks Jim

I contacted the building control dept and he says we can take the wall down providing we put fire jump windows in upstairs.

weve applied for buliding regs now we cant decide do we use a steel lintel and cover it or put in an oak beam. Its a cottage any views ??
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:21 pm

Postby bd3cc » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:20 pm

If Building regs are all you need, you don't apply for them, you notify them that you are carrying out the works, pay the inspection fee, and then take their advice, because they have to sign the works off.
As to a steel, versus oak beam, they will advise on sizes for both, depending on the stresses applicable.
Your council website is usually very helpful.
Posts: 323
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:02 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics