Fire regulations
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Nats Design
Labourer
Labourer

Fire regulations

by Nats Design » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:34 am

Will I have to provide a protected stairwell from loft conversion to ground floor, I dont see why I should when the landing on the existing first floor is not protected as it is a 1940's 3 bed ex council mid terraced house. It would not be possible to provide such and therefore would prevent the loft conversion from going ahead. Surely if I provide fire excape velux in roof space this will be sufficient. Any thoughts please?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Nats Design,
The BRegs now require you to provide a fire protected escape route from the loft conversion. Jumping out of a window is non-compliant.
I think you have answered your own question - the loft conversion will not be going ahead.
end

strud81
Labourer
Labourer

by strud81 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:32 pm

I managed to circumvent the issue of closed-in and 'protective' fire escape route from loft to front door. I did so by getting building control to (eventually) agree to allow the use of fire-rated doors throughout the house. What this essentially does is make the fabric of the house itself the fire-protected enclosed corridor. The doors, and plastered walls were deemed to adequately provide the 30 mins resistance that regulations require. Because mine was new build I had to buy doors anyway. It may not be so cost efficient for you to replace your doors with fire doors. I know that in more than standard white 4 panel trim they get costly so if you have wood or glazed units you could end up with a large additional bill on the conversion. That said it gives you the possibility to move forward with the project.

Good luck.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:34 am