Fireplace foundation

Postby russellfl » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:34 am

Hi can anyone tell me what base i would need to support a woodburning stove and brick (floor to ceiling) fireplace? Dimensions are approx 2.0 metres wide x 0.9 metres deep. the mantle will be a railway sleeper. It's a floating floor bungalow and the depth from the floor to the sub floor is about 600 mm

I had thought of shuttering in from the sub floor using thermalite blocks and filling in with concrete. If that is ok would I need to fill in top to bottom or use hardcore at the base with perhaps a 150mm to 200mm concrete topping?

Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:47 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!