First-Floor Maisonette - and we know when our neighbour below smokes on the bog ...
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

BIrkett
Labourer
Labourer

First-Floor Maisonette - and we know when our neighbour below smokes on the bog ...

by BIrkett » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:01 pm

Evening All

First-time poster, having always rented and now in our first prop which is a maisonette (we're on top).

Issue is that we can smell in the bathroom when the owner below is smoking in her bathroom (directly below ours). We can also smell when she's sat on the throne.

I've had a sniff around the bathroom and found the smell coming from behind our loo, and on looking with a torch, can see a 4" uncapped pipe coming through the floor and stopping at our U-bend. Trying to squeeze a hand back there is difficult but when doing so, there's some air-flow (seems to be coming into our bathroom).

I am pretty sure that the neighbour's bathroom is somehow venting air (perhaps from her bathroom extractor fan) into ours.

I haven't met the girl, though my wife has and they had a nice chat; I don't want my first conversation with her to be on her having to sort out this issue, so want to get as much info as poss beforehand.

I've not yet removed the loo as it's not an easy job by the look of it (can't see how it's attached to the floor - poss grouted-in).

I am assuming it's against building regs to have her bathroom directly feeding air into ours, and this is what I'm asking - is it?

Thanks for any tips. \

Birkett

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:10 pm