Fitting a dimmer switch to gu10 mains light fitting with led

Postby misery » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:36 pm

Have puchased a chrome 4 bar mains gu10 halogen spotlight from Wickes.
The instructions are general instructions for all of their light fittings it seems.
I know you can fit a dimming switch to mains gu10 lamps but this fitting has 15 decorative led's along the chrome bar at the top of the fitting.
I dont think you can dim led's but is this the case whem the actual main lamps{gu10] are of the led type,because my lamps are mains halogen would it be ok to fit the dimmer switch?
Would very much appreciate any help or advice ,thanks.
Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby SparkyPaul » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:36 am

It will depend how the LEDs are powered
a normal dimmer switch works by clipping the ac sin wave so you may see the leds flickering a bit
Progress to next rank:

Postby sparx » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:26 pm

Hi I have a mains 4 light GU10 bar type fitting which works fine on a standard dimmer even after i fitted replacement LED lamps, see no reason why yours would not work.
LED's are low voltage devices with inbuilt current limiting so dimming should work fine
regards SPARX

Postby misery » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:12 pm

Thanks for the quick responses guys as long as safe and wont damage the fitting I'm happy,thanks again.
Progress to next rank:

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!