Fitting a dog door in a PVC double glazed back door.
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
hilarya
Labourer
Labourer

Fitting a dog door in a PVC double glazed back door.

by hilarya » Wed May 28, 2008 8:40 pm

Hi,

I have recently moved into a rented house and my dog is used to having a dog door. At the moment I have a double glazed back door made of 2 glazed panels.

Would anyone have any suggestions as to how I remove the bottom glazed panel and create some sort of panel to put a dog door in.

I am keen to do this well as I will have to put it all back together again when I move out!!!

If I need to use a professional, is it a glazier I should be getting help from or should I contact a joiner

Many thanks especially from the dog as he is not doing well at holding it in at night!!
:lol:
Hilary

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

by stevenc1603 » Thu May 29, 2008 11:37 am

You should be able to get a uPVC infill panel to replace the glazed panel that you have now. Once you have fitted this you should be able to make a cut out to fit a dog door.

Bear in mind that as you are in a rented property the landlord might not be happy with you altering the door, although if you can keep the glazed panel you should be able to replace it when you leave the property.

hilarya
Labourer
Labourer

by hilarya » Thu May 29, 2008 1:20 pm

Thank you Steven,

Yes I think you are right I should ask the landlord first.

If I was to call in a professional to help me with the pvc panel would it be a joiner or a glazier or is there another tradesman who does this type of work.

Many thanks for your help

Best wishes

Hilary

allan the locksmith
Tradesman
Tradesman

by allan the locksmith » Thu May 29, 2008 3:16 pm

Call a glazier,its a simple job. my only concern is your losing loads of security by putting a big hole in the door and risk getting burgled.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Fri May 30, 2008 12:12 am

the glass panel should be held in with beading around the glass on the internal side of the door. this beading clips in and needs to be prised off. then the panel should just fall out (are you ready grandad?)

be aware that the beading can become brittle and break when you try to take it out. as you are likely to need to keep it to put the upvc panel in the go carefully. you may find it difficult to replace if it does break.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 pm