All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

fitting a flue through a roof...

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:25 pm

hi,

i've posted this on the roofing thread also but i though i'd see if any of our plumbers out there had experience of this...

i want to install a plume management kit to the exhaust flue of my boiler. the outlet is about 18 inches from the soffit on the first floor of the house. my neighbour is not happy that, with the wind in the right direction, the plume blows across her window.

the plume management kit consists of a pipe, about 3 inches in diameter and 3 feet long. i want to fit it vertically but it will foul with the roof. so i want to drill a hole 3 inches in diameter in the soffit and then another one in the roof tile above so i can pass the pipe through. is this possible?

i thought of trying to extend the pipe so it clears the roof but the flue design does not lend itself to this and as it would have to protrude by about 2 feet it would look an untidy mess, and will solve one neighbourly gripe and replace it with another!

the roof is tiled, not slate, and i want to make it watertight afterwards. any ideas?

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

Post by ALDA » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:22 pm

TAKE IT UP THROUGH THE SOFFIT, REMOVE A ROOF TILE AND USE A TILE/SLATE PIPE FLASHING TO EXIT PIPE THROUGH AND SEAL.

USE A FLEXI METAL CONNECTOR TO TAKE UP ANY MISALIGNMENT.

USE REDUCER/ADAPTORS FOR VARING PIPE DIAMETERS.

GOOGLE "ROOF PIPE FLASHINGS FOR PRODUCTS AND INSTALL INFO.

muttley
Tradesman
Tradesman

pluming

Post by muttley » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:23 pm

Go around the soffit,bend onto the flue outlet,then strait piece,then bend to roof,job done

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:25 pm

Chris. You want something like this:

screwfix.com/prods/92126/Plumbing/Boilers-and-Accs/Biasi-Angled-Flashing-Plate

Cheers

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:46 pm

thats brilliant, i now know how to proceed.

muttley - sadly i cannot do it that way though i had already considered it. problem is that i would have to take the pipe not only past the soffit but also past the guttering, a further 5 inches or so. that would have put too many bends and make for too long a pipe and as its an extension to a boiler flue the manufacturer is quite specific about the length and routeing. otherwise fan on the boiler may not be able to cope.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:05 am